Thursday, June 16, 2011

one more, just like us.

i met another one.

this time, holding

a baby just

a few days past

a month old.

she was pregnant

when her husband died.

she was left in the

place that

so many of us have

found ourselves.

but i didn't know that.

not yet.

...

she smiled when we

met, i smiled back,

talking to her baby.

then she told me.

...

i should be able

to hide my shock,

my outrage,

my sadness,

after all of this

time, but i'm sure that

my face showed

all of those

emotions at once.

...

she asked a lot

of questions,

and quickly my

shock, outrage, sadness

turned into something else.

i had resources for her.

lots of them.

the ones that many of

us have used

to help get us

past those initial

awful moments/feelings/realities.

...

and i think you'll

be meeting her

sometime soon,

through widow match,

through a widow's voice,

at camp widow.

so please welcome her

when the time

is right.

she didn't want

to be here,

but she is,

and it's because of

you that she will

make it through.

5 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts and healing energy her way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had two similar experiences very recently, and although I hate being able to understand, I was grateful to be able to give them resources, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was me, I'm the girl, the mother...the widow. I'm here, your resources are helping and I feel less alone than I have in a long time. These resources are unbelievable - how have they been here the entire time? Thank you so, so much for making this journey just a little bit easier. -Kristin Davis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to our community Kristin. I am so sorry you need us, but also glad you found Matt and through him us too. The thing that made the most difference for me after my husband's death was other widowed people. I felt normal around them, and hopeful in a way I didn't anywhere else. I hope we can be that kind of support for you. If you have any questions, or if I can be of any help please don't hesitate to contact me. You can email me directly at micheleh at sslf dot org. Just remember, you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't quote know how I happened upon Widow's Voice but I am so thankful that I have. It has been 3 years since I lost my husband to an unexpected heart attack. I keep hearing that time will ease my loss and I know that is true but to me, time is just that... time. I miss what a precious relationship we shared... it wasn't perfect but it was perfect to us. Almost 30 years of love, joy and complete happiness. Thankfully, my family is close but nothing can fill the huge void left by my beloved husband. Finding and sharing with others who understand helps to make this journey of grief less lonely. Sometimes, others can put a time line on your grief and that is a difficult place to be. I'm just walking slowly on this path but am so grateful for the friends I have and have met on the way.

    ReplyDelete