Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Lordy Lordy Look Who's 40!

Forty and fabulous, for sure!! There is no doubt in my mind that this birthday may be one of the best ever for our wonderful Michele. I soooo wish I could be there, but if it is humanly possible to be there "in spirit" - I'm there.

I had to change this post a little because of Michele's post from yesterday. Her life in pictures is a great way to think about the passing of 40 years. (Sorry to keep saying it Michele: 40, 40, 40...welcome to the club! LOL ;) I've seen the screen saver capture of those 40 years and have experienced in person only the last 4. What a life! They say a person can be judged by the company they keep: two fantastic parents, 6 fabulous siblings, 3 wonderful children, a wonderful husband, a loving australian, a host of amazing friends, and a partridge in a pear tree! :) Let's consider these the cast in our story.

What about the plot? We find our heroine, beautiful of course, beset with trials worthy of Odysseus. A joyful life? Definitely! A life full of challenge and adversity? Yes! The past 40 years have been a roller coaster of ups and downs - the highs - so very high, and the lows? No one should have to go that low. But, and this is my point, and the point of our story - it is the trials that show us our strength. It isn't our circumstances that define us, but how we respond to those circumstances.

Life has thrown some intense challenges in your path my friend. You have withstood them, absorbed them, and made them yours. Your bumps and bruises are fading, and what remains? A strong, confident, generous, beautiful, and amazing woman, ready for the next chapter and the next 40 years. I'm looking forward to continuing the story. As cheesy as it is, I love this little saying and it makes me think of you and of us:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming"WOO HOO what a ride!"

Here's to you Michele, Happy Happy Birthday !!!!! Enjoy every moment of your very own day. I love you more than my luggage! ;)
Tacalla

3 comments:

  1. Well said! Happy 40th Birthday Michele, welcome to the club ;-)

    All I would like to add is that it is such a more meaningful gift - all your hard work to help your fellow-widow/ers - when you consider that you tirelessly give, whilst dealing with your own pain.

    I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, Michelle. You two 40-year-olds were so meant to find each other...and I am so glad you did. May this new year bring each of you a measure of your dreams. xo

    ReplyDelete